I struggled with this topic (10 Movie or TV characters) for Monday Listicles suggested by Rachee (say it Rah-shay – I’d put the accent mark over that first e in her name, but I don’t know how) not because I couldn’t come up with anything, but because it’s so broad. I was a TV junkie when I was a kid growing up in the late 70s and 80s, so I wasn’t lacking for stuff to talk about, but which direction to take.
I decided on…
Here they are in no particular order…
1. Joanie Cunningham from Happy Days and Joanie Loves Chachi – Joanie whined a lot. It was annoying and so was she. But I still watched both shows.
2. Marcia Brady from The Brady Bunch – Marcia, Marcia, Marcia! I was like Jan, living in her older sister’s shadow, so automatically I didn’t care for Marcia. Except I didn’t have an older sister and really, Jan got on my nerves too. Actually, they all got on my nerves – except Alice. I always felt bad for Alice because she had to live with all those kids and Sam was a non-committal butcher. But that didn’t stop me from watching every episode, sometimes six to ten times each, along with The Brady Brides and the reunion. If The Brady Bunch were on right now, I’d stop whatever I was doing and watch it.
I know this show wasn’t even close to being on in the 80s, but I loved (to hate) it in the 80s, as well as the 70s, and 90s, so I put it on the list.
3. Samantha Micelli from Who’s The Boss? – You may know about my crush on Scott Grimes (and nine others), so there was nothing I could do, but hate Sam.
5. Screech from Saved By The Bell – Who didn’t hate Screech? He was the white Urkel.
6. A.C. Slater from Saved By The Bell – You’d think I watched this show all the time, but I didn’t. I remember my sister watching it and then my friends watched it in college, so I kind of had to watch it sometimes. A.C. just looked like he thought he was all that and a giant mullet. I guess he was cute, but I just couldn’t see past that mullet. I think if you looked closely enough you would have seen some robin eggs on top of his head. I don’t know why he bothered me so much, but he did.
7. Naomi Oates Harper from Mama’s Family – We watched Mama’s Family every Saturday night. We were that cool. I think it came on after Small Wonder (the family that had the robot daughter and annoying son). I couldn’t stand Naomi. I was like Mama; I wanted to beat Naomi over the head with a giant breadstick or something. She was all mushy with Vinton and usually made me puke in my mouth.
8. Joey from Gimme A Break and Blossom – I think I was irritated because he always seemed to play characters with the name “Joey”. Like he was so awesome that the show creators had to make his characters all “Joey”. He was just always “Joey”. And then came Melissa and Joey. He was even “Joey” when he had bit parts on Diff’rent Strokes and Silver Spoons.
9. The entire cast of the original Beverly Hills, 90210 – Rich brats. It doesn’t matter that I couldn’t stand them, I still watched them Every. Single. Week. In 1993, I got together with a bunch of others in a friend’s dorm on Monday nights. My guy-friends drooled over Kelly and Donna and I just sat there and criticized every character and how they all made stupid life choices. Gosh, was I jealous. I wanted to live in Beverly Hills and be a stupid, rich brat too.
10. This is the most pathetic list ever. I can’t think of anyone else and I sound like a giant, grouchy butt-hole. So with that, how about you end it.
Which TV character did you love to hate in the 80s(ish)?