Today’s Monday Listicles topic is: 10 Beauty Product Must-Haves suggested by Julia at Mom on the Run x 2. Um…I use shampoo a few times a week. And soap. I guess I moisturize too, but not enough, as demonstrated by my raging wrinkles. I’m just not into beautifying, especially since I became a mom. So since beauty has taken a backseat, I’m going to go a different route, but stick with the product theme.
1. The Snack Trap – I loved that most of the snacks would stay in the cup when it tipped over, because the cup always tipped over. Whatever would keep those Goldfish from falling onto the floor of the mini-van only to be grounded into a million pieces was awesome to me.
2. Beethoven’s Wig CDs – There are five CDs in this series by Richard Perlmutter. The songs all feature classical music by famous composers, but with funny lyrics added. They’re very catchy.
Before I listened to these CDs I had approximately zero appreciation for classical music, except maybe when it was in the background of a Bugs Bunny cartoon. I really wanted to bring some music culture into my kid’s lives (and mine), so I was very excited to find these CDs. Each song typically mentions the composer’s name or the title of the song to help kids (and me) remember something about the piece. The first half of the CD plays the songs with the lyrics and the second half without the lyrics. My kids will often hear these classics, sans lyrics, when we’re watching a movie or out someplace and they get really excited. I love these CDs not just for my kids, but for me too. Here’s a sample…
3. Scoop Bib – These bibs catch everything. All my kids have used them. I buy these at Ikea. They come in a set with a bowl, cup and spoon. The spoon is a waste, but we use the cups and bowls. The bibs last us about six months, so we pick a few up whenever we’re at Ikea.
4. Backpack Diaper Bag – Dude, this saved my back. I don’t know how people walk around with those designer diaper bags over one shoulder, they kill me. Maybe it’s because I’m 41, but still, the one-shoulder diaper bag hurt when I was 34. I love the backpack diaper bag! Goooooo Backpack Diaper Bag! Yay!
5. Stacking Cups – I know. This sounds like the lamest toy ever invented, but we’ve had our stacking cups for seven years and our four-year-old daughter still plays with them. Now that I think about it, my seven-year-old still plays with them in the sand table. These were the best toys we took on our trips to China to adopt our children. They were compact and could be played with in the hotel room or in the bathtub or pool. Love these little suckers.
6. Leapfrog Letter Factory Video – My kids learned how to make all the letter sounds of the alphabet through this video. When I sometimes need to remind my kids the sound a letter makes I always reference the prompts given in this video. W-w-w-w-what’s happenin’, dude? (That’s the prompt for the w-sound.)
7. Scented Diaper Bags – Whoever created these was a genius. Whenever I was out and one of my kids exploded, I loved having these baggies to shove that nastiness into and just drop it in the restroom trash. Maybe I wasn’t supposed to do that, but I felt less guilty when it was in one of these scented diaper bags. Plus, I didn’t want that crap in my car.
8. Baby Faces Book – All my kids loved this book when they were two to three years old. As we looked through the book we mimicked the facial expression of each baby. They were mesmerized by it.
9. Earplugs – Not for your kids, but for you. Don’t even feel bad for putting these suckers in your ears during a rough car ride or just a day in your kitchen. I was a much happier mama when I wore my earplugs. I could still hear, but a lot less.
10. Tell me in the comments what your favorite kid product is.